A suicide bomber
killed four soldiers on Monday when he rammed a car laden with
explosives into a military checkpoint in Aden, residents and a security
official said. Several
soldiers were also wounded in the attack at al-Mimdara neighborhood in
Sheikh Othman district, northeast of Aden, but they gave no precise
figure. No one claimed
responsibility for the attack, but it appears to resemble previous
bombings carried out by the Yemeni branch of Islamic State that have
targeted security forces or senior officials in Aden since supporters of
President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi retook the city from Iran-allied
Houthis last year. The
embattled Yemen government is based in Aden and has struggled to build
up a national military and pay its bills, including to fighters who have
fought on its behalf, as al Qaeda and Islamic State militants have
taken advantage of 10 months of civil war to expand their presence in
the second largest city. In fighting on
Sunday, local militiamen and soldiers guarding the presidential palace
fought hours of gunbattles over unpaid medical bills and compensations
for guards in an attack outside the palace last month. Local fighters said on Monday that eight people from both sides died, while seven others were wounded. (Reuters)
Suicide bomber kills four in Yemen's Aden city: security source, residents

Comments About This Article
Please fill the fields below.