(Zaman Al Wasl)- The Syrian General Conscription Department has sent new conscription calls for men in the eastern suburbs of Damasucs to perform the reserve service, activists said Wednesday.
Most of the Syrian young men in the capital's Eastern Ghouta have rejected the regime’s conscription call but the reconciliation deals have imposed a new de-facto. They should join the army or they might face the military intelligence arrest.
So far, about 8,000 men have been ordered to join army in Ghouta, local activists said.
In April 2018, Russia brokered a humiliating reconciliation deal where thousands of the eastern enclave of Damascus had been evacuated and who decided to stay were granted six months time limit to do their mandatory service.
The fall of Eastern Ghouta last April was achieved in a brutal fashion and had changed the course of the war.
More than 1,700 civilians were reportedly killed in the eight-week offensive.
The Eastern Ghouta was the scene of the first major protests in the capital against the rule of Bashar al-Assad.
Bashar al-Assad urged all Syrians, including the Druze minority, to send its young men to the army.
The Alawites-dominated areas are still the main manpower supply for the Assad's regime.
More than 125,000 pro-regime forces have been killed in seven years of brutal war, according to local monitoring groups.
The regime military said in December it would demobilise some conscripted and reserve officers, following the regime’s recapture of much of the country from rebels and the dwindling of fighting on many fronts, Reuters reported.
The army general command issued an administrative order ending active service for conscripted officers who will have completed five extra years, beyond their original 18-month term of mandatory military service, in January.
The army began demobilising some conscripts who had served long periods in May, shortly after it took back eastern Ghouta, the last major rebel enclave near the capital Damascus.
After the conflict erupted in 2011, desertions, defections and deaths drained the Syrian army. It has relied on critical support from Shi’ite militias including Lebanon’s Iran-backed Hezbollah movement, though devastating Russian air strikes on rebel areas proved decisive in Assad’s military comeback.
The Assad regime announced an amnesty in October for men who deserted the army or avoided military service, giving them several months to report for duty without facing punishment.
Since the Syrian revolution erupted in 2011, more than 560,000 people have been killed, and more than 6 million people have been displaced.
..
Zaman Al Wasl
Comments About This Article
Please fill the fields below.