Saudi Arabia on Thursday condemned Israeli strikes on Syria, reiterating its rejection of what it described as Israel’s attempts to threaten Syria’s stability.
“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs expresses the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’s strong condemnation and denunciation of the Israeli raids that targeted five different areas in the sisterly Arab Republic of Syria, resulting in dozens of civilian and military casualties,” the Saudi foreign ministry said in a statement.
“The Kingdom reiterates its categorical rejection of the Israeli occupation authorities’ attempts to threaten the security and stability of Syria and the region through their violations of international law.”
The statement also urged the international community to stand against the “ongoing Israeli violations in Syria and the region.”
The United Nations envoy for Syria also on Thursday condemned Israel’s intensifying attacks in the country, warning they were destabilizing Syria at a sensitive time.
Geir Pedersen decried in a statement “the repeated and intensifying military escalations by Israel in Syria, including airstrikes that have reportedly resulted in civilian casualties.”
“Such actions undermine efforts to build a new Syria at peace with itself and the region, and destabilize Syria at a sensitive time.”
His comment came after Syria accused Israel on Thursday of mounting a deadly destabilization campaign after a wave of strikes on military targets, including an airport, and a ground incursion killed 13 people.
Israel said it responded to fire from gunmen during an operation in southern Syria and warned Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa that he would face severe consequences if its security was threatened.
Israel has carried out an extensive bombing campaign against Syrian military assets since opposition forces toppled longtime strongman Bashar al-Assad late last year.
It has also carried out ground incursions into southern Syria in a bid to keep the forces of the new government back from the border.
Pedersen called on Israel “to cease these attacks which could amount to serious violations of international law and respect Syria’s sovereignty and existing agreements, and also to cease unilateral actions on the ground.”
He urged “all parties to prioritize diplomatic solutions and dialogue to address security concerns and prevent further escalation.”
Al Arabiya
Comments About This Article
Please fill the fields below.