Search For Keyword.

US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

The Trump administration has informed Congress that it intends to proceed with planning for a potential re-opening of the U.S. Embassy in Damascus, Syria, which was shuttered in 2012 during the country’s war.


A notice to congressional committees earlier this month, which was obtained by The Associated Press, informed lawmakers of the State Department’s “intent to implement a phased approach to potentially resume embassy operations in Syria.”


The Feb. 10 notification said that spending on the plans would begin in 15 days, or next week, although there was no timeline offered for when they would be complete or when U.S. personnel might return to Damascus on a full-time basis.


U.S. President Donald Trump said on Friday that President Ahmad al-Sharaa is doing a great job and Syria “is starting to hold together and unite very well”.


In May 2025, US Special Envoy to Syria Thomas Barrack, visited Damascus and raised the American flag at the US ambassador’s residence, in the presence of Syrian Foreign Minister, Asaad Hassan Al-Shaibani.

(0)    (0)
Total Comments (0)

Comments About This Article

Please fill the fields below.
*code confirming note