Established by Fathi Ibrahim Bayoud 2005 - Homs

Satellite Internet: activists' gate to report atrocities

Features | 2018-04-12 02:39:57
Satellite Internet: activists' gate to report atrocities
 (Zaman Al Wasl)- Even with capture of eastern Ghouta by regime and displacing more than 60,000 people to northern Idlib province, the Assad regime has failed to mute the voice of activists that turned into global voices. 

With their Satellite Internet they surfaced footages and images of the Saturday’s chemical attack on the town of Douma that left 78 civilians dead.

Amid the Internet blackout, media activists and relief workers found in Satellite Internet the key method to draw the attention of the world to the reality of the atrocities committed against the people of the region.

Abdul Malak Abboud, the coordinator of Ghouta Youth Team, said the Satellite Internet was used since the early days of the Syrian revolution, where it was the only means to communicate with the ‘outside world’, including relatives and media outlets.

Despite the satellite communication is expensive but it was the only option to deliver the voice of the besieged suburbs.

For several years, it has used satellite communications devices, such as the Hughes and Astra servers, to obtain almost permanent Internet access, according to Abu Al-Yosr Baraa, head of the Media Association in eastern Ghouta. 

The Russian military announced on Thursday that the Syrian regime is now in full control of Douma, the last rebel-held town on the outskirts of Damascus that was the site of a chemical attack over the weekend.

The development would mark a major victory for Bashar al-Assad as the United States and its allies consider punitive military attacks against Syria following the suspected chemical attack that killed 78 people.

There was no official announcement by Damascus yet that Douma has been liberated and also no indication that Syrian government forces had entered the town on Thursday. One government flag was raised in the town, a war monitoring group said.
 
Douma and the enclave of eastern Ghouta, just east of Damascus, was a significant rebel stronghold during Syria's civil war, now in its eighth year. Its effective surrender to government forces comes after years of siege by Assad's troops and a months-long, intense military offensive.

Saturday's chemical attack in Douma, followed by international condemnation and threats of military action. Syria and Russia deny the attack took place.

The evacuation deal called for the formation of a local council to administer Douma. Thousands of civilians are staying in Douma, and some fighters are also expected to stay, on condition that they hand in their weapons. More than 13,500 Syrian rebel fighters and their families left Douma this month. 

 

Zaman Al Wasl
Comments (0)

Post Your Comments

fill all fields below
*This confirmation code will prevent auto submit
X :Latest News
Senior Houthi official killed in coalition air raid last week: Houthi report      Syria security chief refuses to appear in Lebanon court      Dozens killed in regime assault on Yarmouk camp: monitor      PYD allows 50 displaced families to return back home in Hasaka      Daesh threatens Iraq polling stations ahead of vote      Iran says 'either all or nothing' on nuclear deal: Zarif tweets      Global donors to seek more than $6 bln for Syrian aid      Paris attack suspect found guilty in separate Brussels trial