Established by Fathi Ibrahim Bayoud 2005 - Homs

Nigeria admits Boko Haram attack on army base

Gulf Arab Region | 2018-11-25 02:05:22
Nigeria admits Boko Haram attack on army base
Nigeria has admitted the local media reports over a recent Boko Haram attack on army base that allegedly left multiple casualties in the restive northeast Borno state.

A late Friday statement by the Nigerian army read that the insurgents attacked troops of 157 task force battalion but insisted on not giving casualty figures until families of the affected soldiers have been briefed.

The confirmation is the first time since local media broke the news of the attack earlier in the week.

Media reports said up to 113 soldiers were killed with several others still missing in deadly attack in Metele area of Borno while many weapons were also stolen.

The army however said the reports in the media were exaggerated, warning against unintended spread of Boko Haram propaganda.

“Whilst it is true that there was an attack on the location on 18 November 2018, it has however, become necessary to correct several misinformation being circulated with regards to this unfortunate event,” it said.

On Friday, Daesh also released a five-minute video detailing the attack and how its fighters purportedly went away with several military hardwares.

“It is important for the public to note that the Nigerian Army has laid-down procedures for reporting incidents that involve its personnel who fall casualty in action," said the army, urging the public to avoid exacerbating the grief of the victims' families.

'Nigeria will prevail over Boko Haram'

Nigerian president also expressed "deep shock" over the Boko Haram attack on the military personnel in Metele, assuring that "immediate measures are being taken to ensure that the loopholes which led to the fatalities are blocked once and for all."

Muhammadu Buhari said that his administration remains ever committed and focused on the security of military personnel and other citizens.

"No responsible Commander-in-Chief would rest on his oars or fold his hands to allow terrorists to endanger the lives of its military personnel and other citizens.

"Our loyal forces have proved their strength over the terrorists and we are ready to give them all the needed support in terms of equipment and manpower to succeed in ending the renewed threat," he said.

Buhari also noted that he is engaging the Military and Intelligence Chiefs in extensive discussions in the coming days "on the next steps we shall be taking.”

Nigeria has been battling Boko Haram insurgency since 2009 when the group turned violent following the death of its former leader Mohamed Yusuf in police custody.

No fewer than 20,000 people have been killed, mostly civilians, while 2-3 million have been displaced from their homes across the Lake Chad region.

Anadolu Agency
Keywords:
Comments (0)

Post Your Comments

fill all fields below
*This confirmation code will prevent auto submit
X :Latest News
Poll shows Hamas leader would win Palestinian elections      US concerned with Hezbollah's rise in Lebanon      In ‘disgust,’ judge threatens Flynn with prison, but delays sentence      Russia slashes Syria military flights      Armed group blocks key Libya oil field for a week      Saudis announce budget deficit for sixth straight year      Sudanese troops will remain in Yemen: Al-Bashir      Yemen cease-fire monitors to deploy within 24 hours: UN