Established by Fathi Ibrahim Bayoud 2005 - Homs

Yemen's Houthi rebels seize key route in deadly clashes

The Arab World | 2020-01-27 20:17:27
Yemen's Houthi rebels seize key route in deadly clashes
 Yemen's Houthi rebels made gains Monday against government troops north and east of Sanaa, seizing a strategic road in deadly fighting, loyalist military officials told AFP.

The pro-government sources said the rebels had captured the route that connects Sanaa to the provinces of Marib, to the east, and Jawf to the north.

Dozens have been killed or wounded in the fighting around Sanaa in the past 48 hours, according to these military sources, but they were not able to give precise figures.

"The Houthis are now seeking to take Hazm, the capital of Jawf province," one official told AFP on condition of anonymity.

The rebels were now just five kilometres (three miles) from the city, this source added.

Before the latest upsurge in fighting, Jawf province had been mostly controlled by the Houthis, with its capital still in the hands of the government.

Marib province is partly under Houthi control, with its capital also held by the government.

The renewed fighting, which erupted nearly two weeks ago, included a January 18 missile strike on a loyalist military camp that killed 116 people.

The clashes have shattered a period of relative calm in a country devastated by five years of war.

A missile struck a popular market Monday west of the city of Taiz in southwestern Yemen, killing three civilians and wounding seven others, according to the Saba news agency, which blamed the Houthis for the attack.

The war in Yemen pits the Iran-backed Houthis against the internationally recognised government which since 2015 has been reinforced by a military coalition led by Saudi Arabia and its allies, including the United Arab Emirates.

The government acknowledged Friday that the Houthis' progress, saying it had carried out a "tactical withdrawal" of its own troops from certain positions east of Sanaa, some of which it had held for three years.

In a report published Friday, the International Crisis Group said the Houthis "appeared to be making the biggest gains on the battlefield".

The think-tank warned that if the renewed fighting spread, it would represent "a devastating blow to current efforts to end the war".

The conflict has left tens of thousands of people dead, mainly civilians, and triggered what the United Nations has said is the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

AFP
Keywords:
Comments (0)

Post Your Comments

fill all fields below
*This confirmation code will prevent auto submit
X :Latest News
NATO envoys to meet to discuss Syria at Turkey's request      Virus epidemic growing by day hits schools, concerts, parks      Asia stocks tumble on virus fears after Wall Street plunge      Cycling race canceled with 2 virus cases, Froome quarantined      Virus fears lead K-pop superstars BTS to cancel Seoul shows      Turkish army retaliates against 'all known' regime targets      Turkey, with more dead troops, won't stop Syrian refugees reaching Europe: official      Israel drone strike kills civilian near Golan Heights