Established by Fathi Ibrahim Bayoud 2005 - Homs

Saudi Arabia confirms arrival of Guantanamo Bay prisoner

Gulf Arab Region | 2018-05-03 12:03:00
Saudi Arabia has confirmed the arrival of a prisoner who was sent back to the kingdom from the Guantanamo Bay detention center to serve out the remainder of his 13-year sentence.

Ahmad Mohammad al-Darbi is the first detainee to leave the U.S. base in Cuba since President Donald Trump took office. The Pentagon first announced the transfer of in a brief statement on Wednesday.

Saudi state security says Darbi arrived just before midnight on Wednesday and that his relatives had been notified.

After serving the remainder of his sentence, Darbi will spend time in a Saudi rehabilitation center for convicted extremists that aims to help them assimilate back into society through visits with relatives, religious counseling with moderate clerics, art therapy and even cash assistance to help them once out.
AP
Comments (0)

Post Your Comments

fill all fields below
*This confirmation code will prevent auto submit
X :Latest News
France questions if US support for NATO is 'perennial'      Turkey: Terror attacks in New Zealand organized      Islamophobia is on rise in Spain: Report      Netherlands: Shooter fires on relative, bystanders      Mosque attacks 'could happen in UK', says minister      Hundreds protest in Sudan, keep up pressure on Bashir      Deadly Palestinian attack puts security in focus before Israel polls      Pressure rises on Boeing over Ethiopia, Indonesia crash parallels