Established by Fathi Ibrahim Bayoud 2005 - Homs

More than 30,000 evacuated from Homs

Local | 2018-05-16 13:45:00
More than 30,000 evacuated from Homs
A ninth convoy of evacuees carrying people from the northern countryside of Homs province in western Syria arrived on Wednesday in Aleppo’s western countryside and Idlib province, according to Anadolu Agency correspondents on the ground.

The convoy of dozens of buses carried 6,800 civilians and armed groups members and their families from northern Homs as the number of people evacuated has exceeded 30,000 so far.

The evacuees will be sheltered in refugee camps, schools, and mosques in the two provinces.

On May 2, the Syrian regime and opposition groups agreed to a cease-fire in the Homs province’s northern countryside. Under the deal, Russian and regime forces will move into the region while opposition fighters surrender their heavy weapons.

The agreement also provides opposition fighters with a safe exit from other opposition-held parts of northern Syria. 

Syria has only just begun to emerge from a vicious conflict that began in 2011, when the Assad regime cracked down on demonstrators with unexpected ferocity.

Anadolu Agency
Keywords:
Comments (0)

Post Your Comments

fill all fields below
*This confirmation code will prevent auto submit
X :Latest News
Palmyra's historical spring flows again after 25 years of drought      European bank boosts Turkish lira financing in 2018      Russia dismisses Islamic State responsibility claim for deadly blast      Paul Manafort: Trump's disgraced campaign chief said he was placing people in administration, court filing says      Israel demolishes home of accused Palestinian killer      Vietnam 'willing' to host Trump-Kim summit: report      Libya: 10 killed, 41 wounded in armed clashes      US trained UAE troops for air combat in Yemen: Report